April is Home Improvement Month and while we will all be hoping to turn the heat down a notch or two, there are some steps you can take to help reduce your energy bill.
OFTEC Ireland, which represents the domestic oil heating and solid fuel industry, has put together this useful guide to mark Home Improvement Month with tips for saving money while making your home more comfortable.
- Switch to a condensing boiler – with at least 18% more efficiency than a standard oil boiler, this could save you hundreds of pounds a year.
- Turn the dial – with spring approaching, review your heat settings as reducing the time the boiler is on for saves money.
- Separate hot water – a simple ‘S’ system (a 2 port valve) will save you money, heating water only in the summer and radiators and hot water in the winter.
- Room stat – add a room thermostat to control your heating easily and save money.
- Switch to energy saving light bulbs – switch to compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) as they use a fraction of electricity and last up to 10 times longer.
- Close doors and curtains – the simplest measures can lead to major energy savings.
- Insulate your pipes – install lagging around your home heating and water pipes to insulate them.
To find your nearest OFTEC Registered Technician, visit http://www.oftec.org
Find even more homeowner tips on the Propertynews.com blog here